Dandruff is a skin condition seen in both adults and children that causes itching and flaking of the skin on the scalp. Dandruff is not a fungus. However, it can form as a result of a fungus on the scalp.
One of the most common causes of dandruff is a yeast-like fungus called Malassezia globosa. Malassezia is found on almost every scalp, as it feeds on the naturally produced scalp oil called sebum. As Malassezia feeds on the sebum, it generates omega-9 fatty acids. These fatty acids, most often referred to as oleic acids, are varieties of carboxylic acid and can lead to irritation in about half of the population.
This irritation causes the scalp to increase the rate at which it renews its skin cells, as the scalp is trying to rid itself of whatever is causing the irritation. These excess skin cells clump together and flake off as dandruff.
The simple presence of Malassezia does not indicate dandruff, as this microbe occurs naturally on healthy scalps. The scalp must be sensitive to the Malassezia-made oleic acids in order for dandruff to form.
It is important to note that dandruff is not directly caused by bad hygiene. However, unwashed hair can boost Malassezia growth, which can, in turn, lead to dandruff. Dandruff can also be caused by a skin condition called seborrheic dermatitis that causes oily, red, and scaly skin that can flake off to create dandruff.
Is it Dandruff or a Scalp Fungus?
Though dandruff is not a fungus, there are several fungus varieties that can infect the scalp and cause dandruff-like symptoms. However, there are ways to differentiate between a scalp fungus and dandruff. For example:
- Scalp fungus can cause the hair to fall out in patches, as it weakens hair fibers and causes itching which makes those suffering from the infection scratch and cause further hair loss
- Fungus can form blisters on the scalp
- Fungal infections on the scalp, if untreated, can lead to large swellings or bumps that can be painful and, if left untreated, can cause permanent scarring and hair loss
- Severe fungal infections on the scalp can cause swollen glands
If you see any of these symptoms beyond itching and flaking, it is vital that you see a doctor and be tested for a scalp fungal infection.
Get Rid of Dandruff
In most cases, dandruff is simply irritating and embarrassing. However, in some cases, it can cause the scalp to be red, inflamed, and painful. When this happens to children, it’s important to treat dandruff right away to prevent further irritation and discomfort.
The most effective way to treat dandruff in children is with dandruff shampoo products formulated especially for kids and which contain the ingredient pyrithione zinc. Pyrithione Zinc has anti-fungal properties that help reduce the quantity of Malassezia fungus on the scalp.
Pyrithione zinc is an FDA-approved active ingredient that is proven to get rid of the flakes associated with dandruff. Dr. Eddie’s Happy Cappy Medicated Shampoo & Body Wash with Pyrithione Zinc is the only anti-dandruff shampoo formulated to treat children of all ages. There are similar adult shampoos for dandruff on the market, but they are not formulated for children and might contain harmful ingredients that are too harsh.
Happy Cappy Medicated Shampoo & Body Wash is fragrance, dye, sulfate, and BPA free. Made with 95% natural ingredients:
- Licorice root extract to soothe redness
- Provitamin B5 to moisturize hair and skin
- Pyrithione zinc for effective and fast relief of flakes, scale and irritation associated with dandruff
Dr. Eddie’s unique formula targets dandruff at the source while protecting sensitive young skin. Find this effective yet gentle shampoo and body wash for dandruff on Amazon or Walmart.com, or in select Walgreens and Buy Buy Baby stores near you. Use Dr. Eddie’s Happy Cappy Medicated Shampoo & Body Wash daily until symptoms clear.
- Best Shampoos for Cradle Cap – Happy Cappy Is Selected! - January 11, 2021
- Happy Cappy Introduces New Eczema Cream for Kids of All Ages! - January 11, 2021
- Happy Cappy Makes List of “Best Baby Shampoos For Dry Scalp” - December 3, 2020